Friday, January 2, 2009

Cape Coast

The car rental was for a trip that Kwasi, Charles, a friend of Kwasi's from Chicago home for break, Andrea, Chandra and I went on to Cape Coast, about two hours west of Accra.



Cape coast castle was a major holding station in the transatlantic slave trade, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.






The scenery was extremely beautiful on the coast, in contrast to the very somber museum, which is the first stop on the tour.


For me, it was reminiscent of visiting a concentration camp when I was in Germany in 2003.

One difference was that the tour guide after the museum was full of jokes, some slightly less appropriate than others. That sort of lightened the atmosphere, although I guess I would have preferred to feel the weight of the moment instead.




Inside, the holding rooms were very dark, and it would have been very crowded. For the tour of about 20 people, some of the rooms where they would hold two to three times as many people already seemed desperately hot, claustrophobic and overwhelming.















They have a small library there for anyone to come and read. Interestingly I saw this sign there:




No comments:

Post a Comment